The Old Fireside
J. R. Baxter
J. R. Baxter
There is a rest for body and mind,
There is a peace that we may still find,
There is a balm for heartache and pain,
Where there is sunshine after the rain.
If we will ponder firesides of yore,
If we will wander homeward once more,
Gather around the hearth that we love,
O what a glimpse of heaven above.
One by one we have left the old home,
Gone from its peaceful sheltering dome,
Leaving behind its council and care,
Leaving behind our mother's sweet pray'r.
There our true pleasure ever was known,
Love without measure ever was shown;
Let us go back where we are loved best,
Back to the fireside, home and sweet rest.
Heartsick and sore we long for a day
When we aside our burdens can lay,
Leave the sad scenes where sorrows betide,
Go to that home, our own dear fireside.
Here there is sadness, there will be found
Joy and true gladness still to abound;
There is the hearth, the dearest on earth,
O blessed fireside, home of our birth.
Sitting around the fireside at night,
Hearts are so light, so happy and free,
While we talk of the days of childhood so bright,
O how the hours swiftly do flee;
While with loved ones united, all now is mirth,
No more desire afar now to roam,
We are drawn to the cheery hearth of our birth,
Fireside at home, sweet fireside at home.
The last 10 hymns uploaded.
- # 1 - Abide With Me 3 (uploaded on 2013-07-07 19:43:00)
- # 2 - Jesus, Rose Of Sharon 3 (uploaded on 2013-07-07 19:17:00)
- # 3 - Come, Thou Almighty King 2 (uploaded on 2013-07-07 18:51:00)
- # 4 - The Broken Heart 2 (uploaded on 2012-08-19 22:55:11)
- # 5 - Holy Spirit, Teacher Thou (uploaded on 2012-05-13 23:25:55)
- # 6 - Beneath The Shadow Of The Cross (uploaded on 2011-01-23 12:58:44)
- # 7 - All People That On Earth (uploaded on 2010-09-26 16:20:17)
- # 8 - The Wondrous Gift (uploaded on 2010-09-26 16:19:08)
- # 9 - Deeper Yet (uploaded on 2010-06-13 21:26:20)
- #10 - Great God Of Wonders (uploaded on 2010-06-13 19:10:54)