Behold The Saviour
A. H. M.
DUNDEE (WINDSOR). C. M.
Alternative tune: MARTYRDOM (AVON) C. M.
Melody from Este's Psalter, 1592
Text from Luke 23:46
This text was written by Samuel Wesley, father of John and Charles, shortly before the fire that destroyed the Epworth rectory in 1709. This was the same fire from which young John was saved. It led him to later refer to himself as a "brand plucked out of the burning." The tune is adapted from the well-known "Dido's Lament" from Henry Purcell's 1689 opera, Dido and : Aeneas. The hymn is especially suitable for Lent, Good Friday, and Tenebrae.
Behold the Saviour of mankind
Nailed to the shameful tree!
How vast the love that Him inclined
To bleed and die for thee!
Hark, how He groans, while nature shakes,
And earth's strong pillars bend!
The temple's veil in sunder breaks,
The solid marbles rend.
'Tis done! the precious ransom's paid!
"Receive my soul!" He cries;
See where He bows His sacred head!
He bows His head, and dies!
But soon He'll break death's envious chain,
And in full glory shine:
O Lamb of God, was ever pain,
Was ever love, like Thine?
The last 10 hymns uploaded.
- # 1 - Abide With Me 3 (uploaded on 2013-07-07 19:43:00)
- # 2 - Jesus, Rose Of Sharon 3 (uploaded on 2013-07-07 19:17:00)
- # 3 - Come, Thou Almighty King 2 (uploaded on 2013-07-07 18:51:00)
- # 4 - The Broken Heart 2 (uploaded on 2012-08-19 22:55:11)
- # 5 - Holy Spirit, Teacher Thou (uploaded on 2012-05-13 23:25:55)
- # 6 - Beneath The Shadow Of The Cross (uploaded on 2011-01-23 12:58:44)
- # 7 - All People That On Earth (uploaded on 2010-09-26 16:20:17)
- # 8 - The Wondrous Gift (uploaded on 2010-09-26 16:19:08)
- # 9 - Deeper Yet (uploaded on 2010-06-13 21:26:20)
- #10 - Great God Of Wonders (uploaded on 2010-06-13 19:10:54)