To My Redeemer
A. H. M.
Alternate Zion's Harp Numbers: 77, 132
As I think of Thee, A gentle rapture
Overwhelms the soul that Thou dost love;
This is one of those bright precious moments
Granted Thy beloved from above.
One long train of dark and troubled hours
Shrouded me in youthful days gone by;
Since I've felt Thy great, almighty powers,
Light and strength flow on me from on high.
Ere I knew Thee and Thy sweet compassion,
My unhappy heart sought peace in vain;
For a thousand lusts of evil fashion
Burnt within me, yielding naught but pain.
Full of youthful zeal, I was pursuing
Nothing but deceit and vanity;
Sham and shadow I was ever wooing,
And the truth remained unknown to me.
Filled with false ambition, pride, and cunning,
Wanting meekness, sense of right, and light,
Into error's mazes I was running,
Oft unwilling, slave to sin's dread might.
Were I loved and honored, thus I fancied
All this longing would be satisfied;
And these came to me in ample measure,
Yet I felt that vacant, unfilled void.
Shepherdless in heathers dry and barren,
As a lost and famished sheep I strayed,
Finding naught to satisfy my hunger,
Naught whereby my thirst could be allayed.
O, in misery I would have perished,
Crushed by great affliction and distress,
Had I not by Thee been found and cherished,
Had I not by Thy grace been refreshed.
What a wretched life had been my portion;
Torn by doubt, remorse and fear was I,
Till at last my faith in Thee was anchored
And Thou heard'st my pleading and my cry!
Long a downcast spirit did depress me;
Now Thou cheerest both my heart and mind;
Only peace and happiness possess me
Since my blessed lot in Thee I find.
Since those sacred days of heav'nly blessing,
I can conquer over passions strong,
Over discontent and dark depression;
Heav'nly pleasure fills my breast with song.
Nor will there be dreary clouds above me
That will overcast my heaven's blue,
If I evermore, O Lord, will love Thee
Without discontent, to Thee be true.
Woe unto the world, such love despising,
That such joy in Jesus casts away;
For its value never realizing,
It is led by vanity astray!
O, forsake me not, Thou ever faithful,
Though to try me Thou Thy face dost hide;
Till I bear Thy likeness and impression,
Purge me as the gold is purified!
When my earthly life at last is finished
And in faith and love my race is run,
I shall praise Thee, Saviour, for Thy suff'rings
Which for me eternal rest has won.
The last 10 hymns uploaded.
- # 1 - Abide With Me 3 (uploaded on 2013-07-07 19:43:00)
- # 2 - Jesus, Rose Of Sharon 3 (uploaded on 2013-07-07 19:17:00)
- # 3 - Come, Thou Almighty King 2 (uploaded on 2013-07-07 18:51:00)
- # 4 - The Broken Heart 2 (uploaded on 2012-08-19 22:55:11)
- # 5 - Holy Spirit, Teacher Thou (uploaded on 2012-05-13 23:25:55)
- # 6 - Beneath The Shadow Of The Cross (uploaded on 2011-01-23 12:58:44)
- # 7 - All People That On Earth (uploaded on 2010-09-26 16:20:17)
- # 8 - The Wondrous Gift (uploaded on 2010-09-26 16:19:08)
- # 9 - Deeper Yet (uploaded on 2010-06-13 21:26:20)
- #10 - Great God Of Wonders (uploaded on 2010-06-13 19:10:54)