Author Bio Information
Altenburg, Johann Michael's bio information
Wednesday, November 30, 1853 - Sunday, February 12, 1640
Altenburg, Johann Michael, b. at Alach, near Erfurt, on Trinity Sunday, 1584. After completing his studies he was for some time teacher and precentor in Erfurt. In 1608 he was appointed pastor of Ilversgehofen and Marbach near Erfurt; in 1611, of Troch-telborn; and in 1621 of Gross-Sommern or Som-merda near Erfurt. In the troublous war times he was forced, in 1631, to flee to Erfurt, and there, on the news of the victory of Leipzig, Sept. 17, 1631, he composed his best known hymn. He remained in Erfurt without a charge till, in 1637, he was appointed diaconus of the Augustino Church, and, in 1638, pastor of St. Andrew's Church. He d. at Erfurt February 12, 1640 (Koch, iii. 115-117 ; Allg. Deutsche Biog., i. p. 363, and x. p. 766—the latter saying he did not go to Erfurt till 1637). He was a good musician, and seems to have been the composer of the melodies rather than of the words of some of the hymns ascribed to him.
The last 10 hymns uploaded.
- # 1 - Bring Your Vessels, Not A Few (TTBB) (uploaded on Mar 11, 2023)
- # 2 - Songs Of Praises (TTBB) (uploaded on Mar 10, 2023)
- # 3 - Something For Thee (TTBB) (uploaded on Feb 25, 2023)
- # 4 - The Blessedness Of Prayer (TTBB) (uploaded on Feb 17, 2023)
- # 5 - Give Thy Blessing (TTBB) (uploaded on Feb 08, 2023)
- # 6 - Come, Let Us, Who In Christ Believe (TTBB) (uploaded on Feb 07, 2023)
- # 7 - God Of Our Life (TTBB) (uploaded on Feb 06, 2023)
- # 8 - I Will Strive (TTBB) (uploaded on Feb 05, 2023)
- # 9 - Be Strong In The Lord (TTBB) (uploaded on Feb 04, 2023)
- #10 - Thee We Adore, Eternal Lord (TTBB) (uploaded on Feb 04, 2023)