God Bless Our Native Land
Siegfried A. Mahlmann
Text from Romans 13:1-7
Co-Author (Stanza 2): John Sullivan Dwight, 1844 (1813-1893)
From "Thesaurus Musicus, London, 1744"
Translator (first 5 lines): Charles Timothy Brooks
Charles was an American Unitarian Minister, born at Salem, Mass., June 20, 1813, and graduated at Harvard, 1832, and the Divinity School, Cambridge, U.S., 1835. In that year he began his ministry at Nahant, subsequently preaching at Bangor and Augusta (Maine), Windsor (Vermont). In 1837 he became pastor of Newport, Rhode Island, and retained the same charge until 1871, when he resigned through ill-health.
Translator (remaining lines): John Sullivan Dwight
John, born in Boston, May 13, 1813, was a virtuoso in music, and an enthusiastic student of the art and science of tonal harmony. He joined a Harvard musical club known as "The Pierian Sodality" while a student at the University, and after his graduation became a prolific writer on musical subjects. Six years of his life were passed in the "Brook Farm Community." He was best known by his serial magazine, Dwight's Journal of Music, which was continued from 1852 to 1881. His death occurred in 1893.
God bless our native land,
Firm may she ever stand,
Through storm and night, through storm and night;
When wild the tempst rave,
O ruler of wind and wave,
Do Thou our country save
By Thy great might,
By Thy great might.
For her our pray'rs shall rise
To God, above the skies;
On Him we wait, on Him we wait;
Thou who art ever nigh,
And guarding with watchful eye
To Thee aloud we cry,
God save the state,
God save the state.
This hymn doesn't have any comments yet.
You can be the first!
You can be the first!
The last 10 hymns uploaded.
- # 1 - Abide With Me 3 (uploaded on Jul 07, 2013)
- # 2 - Jesus, Rose Of Sharon 3 (uploaded on Jul 07, 2013)
- # 3 - Come, Thou Almighty King 2 (uploaded on Jul 07, 2013)
- # 4 - The Broken Heart 2 (uploaded on Aug 20, 2012)
- # 5 - Holy Spirit, Teacher Thou (uploaded on May 14, 2012)
- # 6 - Beneath The Shadow Of The Cross (uploaded on Jan 23, 2011)
- # 7 - All People That On Earth (uploaded on Sep 26, 2010)
- # 8 - The Wondrous Gift (uploaded on Sep 26, 2010)
- # 9 - Deeper Yet (uploaded on Jun 14, 2010)
- #10 - Great God Of Wonders (uploaded on Jun 13, 2010)