Composer Bio Information
Barnby, Joseph's bio information
Wednesday, November 29, 1837 - Friday, November 29, 1895
Joseph Barnby (b. York, England, 1838; d. London, England, 1896) An accomplished and popular choral director in England, Barby showed his musical genius early: he was an organist and choirmaster at the age of twelve. He became organist at St. Andrews, Wells Street, London, where he developed an outstanding choral program (at times nicknamed "the Sunday Opera"). Barnby introduced annual performances of J. S. Bach's St. John Passion in St. Anne's, Soho, and directed the first performance in an English church of the St. Matthew Passion. He was also active in regional music festivals, conducted the Royal Choral Society, and composed and edited music (mainly for Novello and Company). In 1892 he was knighted by Queen Victoria. His compositions include many anthems and service music for the Anglican liturgy, as well as 246 hymn tunes (published posthumously in 1897). He edited four hymnals, including The Hymnary (1872) and The Congregational Sunday School Hymnal (1891), and coedited The Cathedral Psalter (1873).
The last 10 hymns uploaded.
- # 1 - More Of Jesus (TTBB) (uploaded on Sep 18, 2023)
- # 2 - Jesus Is All The World To Me (TTBB) (uploaded on Sep 02, 2023)
- # 3 - The Nail-Scarred Hand (TTBB) (uploaded on Aug 31, 2023)
- # 4 - I Shall See Him By And By (TTBB) (uploaded on Jul 23, 2023)
- # 5 - Pass Me Not (TTBB) (uploaded on Jul 22, 2023)
- # 6 - By And By (TTBB) (uploaded on Jul 16, 2023)
- # 7 - The Great Physician (TTBB) (uploaded on Jul 15, 2023)
- # 8 - Peace, Peace Is Mine (TTBB) (uploaded on Jul 14, 2023)
- # 9 - Only A Little While 2 (TTBB) (uploaded on Jul 13, 2023)
- #10 - Bless Me Now (TTBB) (uploaded on Jul 11, 2023)