Composer Bio Information
Barnby, Joseph's bio information
Thursday, November 30, 1837 - Saturday, November 30, 1895
Joseph Barnby (b. York, England, 1838; d. London, England, 1896) An accomplished and popular choral director in England, Barby showed his musical genius early: he was an organist and choirmaster at the age of twelve. He became organist at St. Andrews, Wells Street, London, where he developed an outstanding choral program (at times nicknamed "the Sunday Opera"). Barnby introduced annual performances of J. S. Bach's St. John Passion in St. Anne's, Soho, and directed the first performance in an English church of the St. Matthew Passion. He was also active in regional music festivals, conducted the Royal Choral Society, and composed and edited music (mainly for Novello and Company). In 1892 he was knighted by Queen Victoria. His compositions include many anthems and service music for the Anglican liturgy, as well as 246 hymn tunes (published posthumously in 1897). He edited four hymnals, including The Hymnary (1872) and The Congregational Sunday School Hymnal (1891), and coedited The Cathedral Psalter (1873).
The last 10 hymns uploaded.
- # 1 - Beyond The Smiling And The Weeping (TTBB) (uploaded on Sep 25, 2022)
- # 2 - I've Anchored In Jesus (TTBB) (uploaded on Sep 15, 2022)
- # 3 - Speed The Light (TTBB) (uploaded on Aug 21, 2022)
- # 4 - Saved By The Blood (TTBB) (uploaded on Aug 17, 2022)
- # 5 - One Day (TTBB) (uploaded on Aug 16, 2022)
- # 6 - The Child Of A King (TTBB) (uploaded on Aug 14, 2022)
- # 7 - Tell It To Jesus (TTBB) (uploaded on Aug 10, 2022)
- # 8 - Don't Stop Praying (TTBB) (uploaded on Jul 30, 2022)
- # 9 - Fill Me Now (TTBB) (uploaded on Jul 29, 2022)
- #10 - Hymn Of Praise (TTBB) (uploaded on Jul 28, 2022)